Monday, February 19, 2018

The Fairly OddParents - Hail to the Chief

Okay, folks, my birthday dinner is over, everything's back to normal, I've got my wishes, and I'm ready to go back to doing a regular review. This one is for President's Day which is today, folks. This is a Fairly OddParents episode called, "Hail to the Chief," which was the only episode to be written by Steven Banks.

Timmy competes against the two popular boys, Tad and Chad to be Student Body President. And this is not just to become Student Body President, no no, it's also to gain attention to the one and only Trixie Tang, because apparently, Trixie is the political reporter for the Dimmsdale Elementary School Newspaper. That's something that unfortunately won't be seen again after this episode. And with a little help from William Shakespeare, not even joking, Wanda summoned him, he writes a speech on the fact that it doesn't matter if we're all losers. A day later, there was nobody at school because the kids got sick from Tad and Chad's cake. And since there was nobody else at school, Timmy won the Student Body President duties. How will this go? Well, just watch and find out.

There's a lot of fun facts I got to mention here. First off I will say this is the first appearance of Sanjay, Timmy's other friend and his only appearance in Season 2, here, he invites Timmy into their book club. And I will address the elephant in the room, the controversy of "Twistory!" That episode (and, indirectly, its sister episode) rarely airs in reruns in the United States due to the controversial stereotypes featured in it and the implications that the world would not advanced socially or technologically had the colonists lost the Revolutionary War. However, both episodes are available on the Nick Picks Vol. 3 DVD and on the season 2 DVD. Due to its obscurity, some people mistakenly thought the Founding Fathers from Escape from Unwish Island were new characters. The last known airings of these episodes was on July 4th, 2017 (the Fourth of July, that is) along with its sister episode on Nicktoons. Sheesh, who ever thought Nickelodeon has something against ethnic stereotypes? What is this the Speedy Gonzales trope all over again?

Okay, okay, okay. All nitpicking aside, this is a pretty funny episode, it's got a good plot, good humor, and even some politician jokes. The one thing that grinds my gears is The Future Phlegmers, because for some reason, one of Timmy's friends, Elmer was in that sort of group. Seriously, how did he get that cold to be in that group? And let me tell you, Principal Waxelplax is frost intolerant, let me tell you, I've looked everywhere for an explanation, but I couldn't find one, I guess that means frost intolerant allergies don't exist. Of course, I will agree with Timmy that I want to be or not to be.......that LOSER!

That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment