Thursday, January 18, 2018

Character Analysis: The Great and Powerful Trixie

Welcome to a new portion of this blog I would like to call, "Character Analysis." You see, every once in a while, I often think of my favorite characters from my favorite TV shows, and I decided why not expose my thoughts to the world by making a new portion of the blog, simply known as "Character Analysis."

For our first entry, let's take a look at my favorite MLP character, The Great and Powerful Trixie! Or Trixie Lulamoon, or Trixie for short.


So, what can I say about her?




Character Purpose

She originally served as the antagonist of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, serving as somewhat of a show-off who boasts way too much and speaks third-person too much. In her first appearance "Boast Busters," she lied to the audience that she had conquered an Ursa Major, when in reality, I originally thought I didn't like this character because of her villainous role. She came back in "Magic Duel" for another showdown with Twilight Sparkle after Twilight defeated the Ursa Minor oh so long ago. And, with the help of the zebra who goes by the name of Zacura, Twilight wins the magic duel and Trixie loses the battle, serving the proof that seeking revenge is not a good thing and you're better off as a regular magician.

She disappeared for a least two seasons, Seasons 4 and 5. It wasn't until Season 6 when she came back to Ponyville, probably to stay, with a new leaf, and along the way, she befriends Starlight Glimmer down at the Ponyville salon, while Twilight isn't too sure about their friendship, she tries to give Starlight a chance while and at the same time, try to give Starlight other friends, it wasn't until she realizes that she needs to give Starlight the same freedom that Princess Celestia gave her when she made friends to Starlight, and near the end, Starlight Glimmer helped Trixie out with her latest magic act that had something to do with a lion, that episode, "No Second Prances," this made me decide she is indeed my favorite character on Friendship is Magic, next to Spike.

What Do I Like About the Character

What I like about Trixie is that ever since the events of "No Second Prances," Trixie has become a semi-regular on Friendship is Magic, no longer a villain, but a friendly somewhat comical magician, kind of like The Amazing Mumford from Sesame Street, that and the fact that she's voiced by one of my favorite Canadian voice actresses, Kathleen Barr, known more famously for doing the voice of Marie Kanker on Ed, Edd n Eddy. She also toned-down on speaking third-person for quite a bit, mostly speaking first-person like how the other characters do. I even like her line in "All Bottled Up," "Doin' the Spell!" which I think is her magic words, which kind of reminds me of The Amazing Mumford's magic words, "A La Peanut Butter Sandwiches!"

Why Do We Need This Character?

The answer is quite simple. She is a comical magician, and a good friend to Starlight Glimmer. She serves to be a comical magician who can't seem to get her magic tricks right like the Amazing Mumford, she doesn't give up though, you what they say, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. My favorite appearances she was in for the series were "No Second Prances," "Guitar Centered," and "Uncommon Bond."

I personally like the fact that the writers decided to make her a more nice character more than pure evil after "Magic Duel." And while you do question if that change was necessary, I have to say, yes, it was.

It's also worth mentioning that Trixie appeared in the movie in the background but didn't have any lines for really no reason that make sense to me. I would've been perfectly fine with it, if it weren't that they added her into the background? Would've hurt to give Trixie at least a few lines here or there or just making an introduction to Songbird Serenade or something? Not that it really matters too much, but she IS an element of the show, and it does feel weird to have her in the movie without at least saying one line or so.

Well, that's all the time we have for Character Analysis. Join me sometime later this week for another review, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment