Monday, January 1, 2018

Kids Next Door Review - Operation: TRAINING

Since it's still winter, let's review my favorite episode of the Kids Next Door from the third season, "Operation: TRAINING." But before we begin, I want to give a shout out to Arthurengtine's Review Jungle for reviewing this episode along with the episode it was paired with "Operation: BUTT." Here's the link the his review.

http://arthurenginereviews.blogspot.com/2015/12/codename-knd-s3e05-operation-butt.html

Okay, let's get started.

The plot is that Numbuh 2's little brother, Tommy Gilligan is part of the Cadets Next Door, or CND for short. And during some training in the Arctic Base, an emergency mission has been called forth because of Father. Once they leave, the cadets, Tommy, Sonia, and the soft-spoken Lee try the simulation anyway despite the orders not to touch anything. And, here comes the big shocker, on Level 3, it was revealed that Father, voiced by Maurice LaMarche, made the entire mission for the KND just a false alarm, and by the time the real operatives realized they've been fooled, it'll be too late, because Father plans to steal the code module. So, it's up to the cadets to save the day.

The funny thing is usually whenever none of the main characters appear in this episode, it would usually make it not a good episode, a good example being The Powerpuff Girls episode, "Custody Battle," where those girls don't appear at all. But, this episode does the exact opposite. Instead of doing an episode without the main characters that would disappoint me, they instead brought me an episode that really good, and hey, it features other Kids Next Door operatives, so, there's no need for me to complain. My favorite character in this episode has to be of course, Sonia, who would later become Numbuh 83 after the events of Operation: GRADUATES. For those who don't know, Sonia is voiced by Janice Kawaye, who's been featured in several other cartoons like Captain Planet, Dorothy Meets Osma of Oz, Invader Zim, HiHi Puffy AmiYumi, and the voice of Jenny Wakeman on My Life a s a Teenage Robot. I think Sonia was one of Janice's cutest characters. She is just so afraid of everything, the cuteness even goes so far when she winds up in the darkness, shaking with fear, proving to me that Sonia is a nyctophobic. In fact, Father threatens to throw the three, including Sonia into a "terrible, scary," dark little room, which caused Sonia to freak out, and she beats up some of Father's minions to the point of them surrendering, Sonia then says, "What? I don't like the dark." This expects me to believe me that Father probably knew about Sonia's weakness. But aside from all that, this is pretty much a Tommy story.

So, the bottom line, this episode is so awesome, it never tried to disappoint me at least once. A nice slice of life episode, It gives us more information about other operatives outside of Sector V, and it also has an interesting story. All I know is that the Kids Next Door never ceases to amaze me. You could find this episode on the second volume, Codename: Kids Next Door Super Hugest Missions File 2 DVD. I'm not sure if you would find it on Amazon, but you'd probably find it on eBay by now. But don't find a copy that's TOO pricey. You have been warned. Anyway, enjoy the episode all you want. It's perhaps one of the best.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout.

    Unfortunately, I've deleted my review of this episode, along with all my other KND reviews.

    Why? Because I am planning to rereview the entire series eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since you quit the reviewing community a while ago, could you send me a copy of what the your review would've looked like via Google Docs?

      Delete