Thursday, January 4, 2018

Johnny Bravo - "Cookie Crisis"

Well, just like I promised, I am now reviewing my favorite Season One episode of Johnny Bravo. It's called, "Cookie Crisis," it was written and directed by Butch Hartman. Now, let's begin.

The plot centers around Little Suzy, Johnny Bravo's next door neighbor and friend trying desperately to sell her girl scout cookies, but Johnny Bravo simply just refuses. And then, hilarious hijinks ensue, with rhyming and foxes, cookies, and so much more. Little Suzy will stop at nothing to get Johnny to buy her cookies.







What I admire about this episode so much is that, it's a satire on the ever popular. Dr. Seuss classic, "Green Eggs and Ham," where Sam I Am tries desperately to get his friend to try his green eggs and ham, but his friend just simply refuses, until the very end. This episode does this kind of format, except with more than 50 words like in the original book. I especially like Johnny's self-awareness, saying things like "Man, this rhyming stuff really hurts my tongue," and "I'm a poet, and I don't know it. I'll make a rhyme every time." I should also mention that this was the first episode where Little Suzy actually cries, and Johnny takes pity on her by buying her cookies.

Okay, lets wrap things up with my final thoughts. This episode is a clever satire, it's funny, witty, self-aware, and the rhyming never gets old or feel out of place. The moral of this story is that you should please buy the cookies from your friends otherwise they might cry. This is just big-time Hanna-Barbera comedy here.

If you have the first season DVD on Johnny Bravo, you can watch it anytime.

Or if you want to see the adaptation of Green Eggs and Ham which features the voice of Paul Winchell, click here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KRkR8HaR9c

No comments:

Post a Comment