Friday, January 5, 2018

SpongeBob - "Squeaky Boots" review

"Squeaky Boots," the first Mr. Krabs centered episode on the show. So, how did this came to me for me to review, well, let's begin.

Mr. Krabs buys two dollars on a pair of squeaky boots, and after failing to let his daughter Pearl have them, he decides to give them to SpongeBob, but only after SpongeBob convinces him he'll pay him. At first, Mr. Krabs likes the idea saying it's money/music to his ears. But it goes so far to make Squidward take a week off because he can't take "the world's greatest fry cook" anymore. After hearing Squidward's warning, Mr. Krabs sees that SpongeBob is still wearing them and the squeaking continues to annoy him! Will it never cease? Stay tuned to find out!

Let's start with the pros. I like the plot of the episode. Mr. Krabs needs to give something away and SpongeBob foolishly buys them. I like the visuals of Mr. Krabs going insane over the squeaky boots, similar to Edgar Allan Poe's Tell-Tale Beat Heart. In fact, why couldn't this episode be called "Tell Tale Squeak Boots?" Oh, well, I'll never know. The comedy's pretty good, especially Squidward's little lines in between, Mr. Krabs vs. the window, him having the hiccups, him slapping his face on his desk, and even screaming out to the customers who appeared out of nowhere that he took SpongeBob's boots, resulting in weird faces like this one right here.


Now for the cons. I never like SpongeBob crying, not even in this episode. I mean sure, it's not as annoying as in the Paul Tibbitt era, but it just makes me feel bad for the character, and I also never liked the fact that Mr. Krabs didn't buy Pearl the flipper slippers she wanted at the very beginning, hence Pearl's line, "You really shouldn't have."And her crying is so loud that it can even shake the entire underwater environment. And I didn't like how Squidward's presence was quite brief. I mean I understand he was annoyed by the squeaky boots, but that;'s not an excuse to be out of the rest of the story. Also, one thing that does confuse me was that Mr. Krabs gave away SpongeBob's bonus for his paycheck for no reason. But if I were give a reason, I would say that he probably use it to buy Pearl those slippers she so wanted.

Okay, enough of the cons. What do I think of the episode. It's good, it's not great, but it is good. Te comedy's spot-on, it's visually interesting, and it has Mr. Krabs having a problem that doesn't relate to money. I like the dream sequence where he counts his money, and he also keeps losing his legs in the process, but this episode has a leg to stand on, pun intended, and I like how SpongeBob uses his boots to talk, that's pretty clever. The episode was written by Steve Fonti, Chris Mitchell, and Mr. Lawrence, who also wrote "I Was a Teenage Gary." One more thing I will point out is that the episode really knows how to mix music together. Like when Mr. Krabs finally tells the truth, it mixes two of Gregor Narholz's musical scores "Killer Birds," and "Death Trap" mashed together as if they were one composition.

Bottom line: Go watch this episode if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment